Friday, March 27, 2009

A friend

There is a girl of quick wits and pretty nails. Some could describe her as cute, others as pretty, many would say she was Greek with an Italian air about her (might be the hands in air all the time) and an old fashioned look about her... but old fashioned she was not. She is my friend...

Her hair was chestnut brown although it has had it's color frenzies and I personally prefer her as a dark blond especially when she fake and bakes the skin color. She has fire red nails and toes always perfect; rarely wears shoes only sandals or flip-flops, shorts and a tee-shirt; and fire cherry lipstick that kills.

I met her 10 years ago for the first time as adults but we had a very brief intro 39 years ago this August. We were both in a crib as her mom taught school at the church we lived next to. So her mom would drop her off while she taught and my mom would watch us. For 29 years we never met and then again one January morning in Savannah Georgia our paths crossed again. She was bitching (as it is what has bonded us as friends for the past decade) about the company that was supposed to clean her wedding dress and they did not do the job. I remember the impression I got from her that day - it still haunts me now - "what a chick!".

And so the journey began... She was married a year already and her hubby was my brothers best friend at the time. So since I did not know anyone there she became my lifeline to what I missed from my life till that moment... a kindred spirit... Let's call her Shenaynay... Lord knows there is a cabby in Athens that can only refer to her by that name (long story there).

Since that moment we were inseparable; even when I moved to Greece for almost 2 years - that bitch followed me there and made me go to Italy for a week touring with Vino and Fromagio. Although in the end had the audacity to get herself pregnant during one of her few visits to Greece and from that romp came my sweetheart - let's call him by his Indian name "Big Dick - two balls"(not meant as something vulgar but rather the exclamation of his paternal grandfather when he first saw him - I just translated the Greek to Native English - insert laugh here).

OK, let me get back to it... We had a few close calls with the law - getting drunk and attempting to drive home while I was pucking in a Kleenex box (listen I am going to admit it, yes, after all it is the truth - come on I am sure there is stuff all of you have done but this one is all ours) while a cop was right behind us.

There was the time the town was flooded and while some cars where floating in the streets (including Shenaynay's) we called the fire department to rescue us from her apartment (where we were stuck overnight due to the risen swamp waters infested with God knows what) and they came at 7am, put us two in a row boat while we carried clothes in plastic bags (HURRAY FOR THE RED-NECKS AND THOSE WHO WANT TO BE JUST LIKE THEM), and rowed us to higher grounds. While all this was not enough, we then proceeded to go to my home, take showers, she kissed her hubby goodbye for the day and we drove 4 hours to a Cher concert in Atlanta. YEP we love Cher... On the way back the next day - I called in flooded and got FIRED!!! LOL

Once we were sitting at a cafe around noon in a village in Greece where there was nothing to do... so when all else fails our modo is DRINK! So we did. We drank the store out of white wine and the proceeded to screwdrivers. We were do drunk everyone in that little who lived pathetic little lives stopped as they walked by and ogled us. It's been a while since we laughed like that.

There was an occasion where we went to the local drinking hole with another friend and got smashed... on the way back we stopped on the side of the road while the friend (let's call her Nina - well that is her name actually) got out of the car and started to dance zeimbekiko in the middle of the hick-town road. The good ole days.

Another time she visited me while I was living in Connecticut and we went to the Statue of Liberty. I do not think we even realized who was around us, we just had a blast. Then went out to the neighborhood Greek club where you can drink and smoke at the same time... We got hammered until the place closed down. I am sure to this day there is a still a gas-station attendant that talks about my friend Shenaynay dancing outside at the gas-station while I pumped gas and got cigarettes.

Oh wait... how about the time where we were at her home after a wild night out and she receives a message on her machine that the Board of Education is calling her and she needs to call them back... Her brother - may he rest in peace while pranking and making those angels around him laugh now- was the culprit. He played a prank on her and the only thing she did not do was pee on herself. And we all know she is capable of that.

What about my amazing friend can I say - she has been the person I have loved the most outside my blood relatives and has actually treated me better than they have. She is a fire-cracker and the only person I can get in trouble with and would know that all we have to do is ... just let it say "Fuck it - tomorrow is another day".

My sweet girl, I know you are going through a time that will never end. Just know that I will always be your friend and I will always love you. What happened make me angry because the sadness can never go away. He will not return to you as you knew him, but I hope that he is with you everyday. When you trip over something chances are he placed it there, when your son says goofy things chances are he is laughing and is proud, when you go to sleep at night chances are he is caressing your face, and when you are tired and don't think you can go on another day chances are he is holding your hand. I want to believe that because what I witnessed all these years was a big sister looking after her brother and know he is looking after you... He is the big brother now. He is your guide. I am sure he is next to you at every step of the journey you still have ahead of you. And there is much more.

I love you and your family as you are all my family. And I miss you, my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Shenaynay sounds like a blast!!!It is so important to have special friendships in this world. The connections we make with close friends is what gives us hope for a new day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenaynay thinks you be crazy......More stories to tell I'm sure by the end of the summer. Thanks for being my friend!

    ReplyDelete